SB_0000002 Critical service bulletin for Cubes Purchased between January 2019 to July 2019. DO NOT FLY

I’ve mentioned this in a number of places before: If you find something missing in QGC+ArduPilot please let me know. In general I can change things pretty quickly. Best spots to reach me for questions are at:

2 Likes

Thanks Don
Applies to everyone in this community, we cannot guess what you need :slight_smile:
Tell us, none of us are hard to find.

EDIT: 27th of April 2019: Ardupilot has now added detection, prearm checking, and inflight checking and failover to the redundant sensors. This is now in Release Copter and Release Plane.
Detection of the fault has also been added to Mission Planner, and QGC latest. Mission planner now collects information on this fault if you are willing to send it to us.

As such, we are reducing this service bulletin to flight is possible under the following conditions:

1. You MUST run Latest Ardupilot RELEASE code.
  2. You must use latest Mission Planner or Latest QGC
  3. If QGC or Mission planner flags your code, contact your local re-seller, and log the issue. DO NOT FLY TILL I HAVE PERSONALLY CHECKED YOUR LOGS, and either given the go ahead, or, organised what we will do next in your case.
    4.Further flight is only to be conducted where you have carried out a full risk assessment on the implications of a failure occurring, the new code is good… but it should not be relied upon as your only means of protection. You must not fly over people, you must not fly over critical infrastructure, you must also take responsibility for your payload and vehicle.

Failure to comply with these requirements may lead to serious damage, injury, or death.

3 Likes

Hi Don,

i’m installing Q 3.5.2 and Ardu 3.6.8 on my Pix 2 boards to check, can you show how Q comunicates error? Should a pop up come? Or a row in the message window?

• You MUST run Latest Ardupilot RELEASE CUBE BLACK code.

How can I do that? I installed the latest Mission Planer und tried a Firmware Update, but it says Error Uploading firmware. Can you please give more details, how to proceed. The ID check was fine, but it was said, that this is not sufficient.

Furthermore, we must suspect it is a hardware issue. When can we expect a replacement?

Thanks!

It’s been a few days since last post.
Any update?

Any issues with mission planner, can you please ask on the mission planner section?

The current news is to test with mission planner, and do a risk assessment before takeoff.

We will discuss other issues after we start shipping again.

Most likely it will be a return for repair if you have a broken cube.

@philip @DonLakeFlyer @Michael_Oborne

Can you guys please post screen shots of what the error/notification/popup/warning in each of the gcs softwares look like? Maybe it could go up in the OP? I think it would be helpful to know what we’re looking for.

@philip - I just received a cube I ordered 4/19 from robotshop. (Obviously before I was aware of this SB).

I did not get a warning from MP on initial setup. Does that imply that my cube is not affected? Are the HW ID numbers posted in OP still valid? (Mine match the original post)

Robotshop must have old(er) stock - do you have any guidance for end users who purchased after Jan 2019, but from a distributor that potentially has old stock? How can I confirm?

At this point, until we are finished our internal audit, assume any cube that you have from this year is affected.

No, acutally I have no issue with Mission Planer. I want to know, how I can do that:
You MUST run Latest Ardupilot RELEASE CUBE BLACK code.

Where do I get the code from and how do I get it onto the Cube.

You load the firmware via the standard method of loading firmware in mission planner.

When attempting to load firmware, if mission planner detects that you have the non cube black code, it will ask if it’s s cube black. Say yes… then it should automatically put the correct firmware on

If we fly our Black Cubes on fixed wings, is it safe to say that manual mode will get us home?
Will compass still work?
Will GPS still work?

It is understandable to want to know these things, you have given the community nothing other than “fly till it breaks in air, then we will fix your cube, but not your plane”.

I make no apologies for making this grounding announcement. Though I understand that it is frustrating to not have straightforward answers at the moment, we are doing the best we can under the circumstances.

Safety comes first.

1 Like

FYI: The wanring you will get from QGroundControl will look like this:

How do we know if it is from this year if it came from a distributor instead of direct from CubePilot?

Please read the thread. that has been answered.

Thanks. Ive been following from the top. This is the only place Ive seen this mentioned:

But it doesnt appear to be answered. Maybe I missed something? Can you link to the post where sourcing from distributors is discussed?

I am also seeing BRD_TYPE unknown with no SB warning from Mission Planner…

EDIT: 02nd of May 2019:
In addition to following the instructions on the 27th of April, ensure that the following parameters are set.

EK2_IMU_MASK == 7 (or EK3 if using EKF3)
INS_USE == 1
INS_USE2 == 1
INS_USE3 == 1