Herelink custom android app using Google Maps SDK

Hi

I am currently building a custom android app to run on the Herelink remote controller using Android Studio. For now I’m testing the Mapbox SDK for Android, but as I’m new to Android Development and map integration, I would like to use Google Maps SDK instead as they seem to have much better documentation.

In order to use Google Maps SDK I need to first install Google Play Services on the Herelink, how can i do that?

I found this topic with the same objectives, but there is no answer on how to install Google Play Services:

Best regards,
Kaspar

Hi
@Alvin @Michael_Oborne @sidbh @philip

First of all, thanks for the amazing work done with the CubePilot ecosystem!

I would very much like try to extend the Herelink’s capabilities by allowing it to use a custom android app with a different map planning workflow not currently available in QGC or Solex. For now I have tested the Mapbox SDK for Android, but it has limited documentation. As I’m completely new to Android Development I would like to use Google Maps SDK instead, as they seem to have much better documentation and map features readily available. However, to use Google Maps SDK I would require to have Google Play Services installed on the Herelink.

I tried installing Google Play Services via the SD card, but after reboot ran into a bootloop with the Herelink logo flashing. To make the Herelink work again I had to reflash the Herelink firmware.

It would be amazing, if you could show a guide on how to install Google Play Services on the Herelink, as I would guess many users would like to develop custom mapping apps on the Herelink and benefit from the Google Maps SDK.

I found this topic with the same objectives, but no answers to the problem was shown:

Best Regards,
Kaspar

the answer to this is a hard NO unfortunately.

For device safety and security we do not allow this.

Hello. Has there been any development on this? Is there a possibility of using Google Maps on the Herelink?