Herelink Solex TX buttons not working for VTOL Quadplane modes

I am unable to change to Q_* flight modes from the Herelink controller using the Solex TX buttons.

I am using Herelink with a Cube Orange ADS-B board for my VTOL which is running Arduplane V4.0.9 with Q_ENABLE=1 . I have followed the instructions (Configure Modes & Mavlink Buttons - CubePilot) for setting up the buttons and even reflashed my FC twice to be sure I hadn’t made a mistake in setting parameters. Firmware on the Herelink ground and air units were updated less than 10 days ago.

I am able to assign Q_* flight modes to the buttons using Solex TX button mapping menu. I can change to regular plane modes via the remote, just nothing that is quadplane (I get “err==4” displayed on screen). Q_* modes can be selected via Mission Planner and in the QGC custom buttons, just not in Solex TX.

Has anyone else who’s had this problem had it resolved yet? I’ve seen a few posts but no solutions. @kellyschrock any insights?

Cheers,
Christian

I updated to latest beta since I found the suggestion on the FB group. Instructions here: Herelink Beta June 2021

I am now on:
Herelink BRU01210730
Air unit AAU01210729

Unfortunately, I am still having the same issues as before. User interface in the Herelink settings app and in Solex TX is a bit nicer though…

Hi Christian,

It sounds like there may be a defect with Solex for Q_ modes. I don’t have a VTOL plane to test with here, but I’ll take a look at this as soon as I can and find out what’s going on.

Thanks,
Kelly

1 Like

Thanks Kelly.

Let me know if I can troubleshoot anything for you. The on-screen error is only when I select a Q_* mode from the pull down menu in Solex. If I use a programmed button for a Q_* mode I get an audible “Vehicle Mode” and the screen just displays the current plane mode.

Maybe just put some prop motors on that lawnmower :wink:

Cheers,
Christian

Haha, I wish it were that easy. :slight_smile:

I found the issue. I remember implementing VTOL support in DroneKit, but it turns out that implementation was in a custom branch for a client (which they use regularly with the expected results). I’ve put those changes in the normal DroneKit branch I use with Solex, and pushed an update. I’ll let Michael know there’s an update available with that fix in it, but he may want to wait to deploy an update until I finish the dual-video implementation, which I’m working on now.

Thanks,
Kelly

1 Like

Awesome. Thanks Kelly! I’ll keep an eye out for the update.

Appreciate all the work you do on Solex and your prompt action with the community.
Reminds me, it’s about time to do some more Solo acro flights. :sunglasses:

Cheers,
Christian

Haha, best of luck with those. I flew Acro once. I switched modes, moved a stick slightly, and immediately went back to Loiter. It worked great :smiley:

1 Like

hahaha I need to upload my flight videos of flips, rolls, etc. That mode operates as intended and is a lot of fun. It’s good for stress relief after a lot of serious missions.

Same here - in BRU01210730 Solex v1.0.3 Quadplane flight modes do not work - unable to set them manually (err=4) or via buttons. So no quadplane flying with Solex on Herelink at the moment.

@kellyschrock any idea when quadplane modes will be supported on Herelink Solex app?

My understanding is that the Alpha Herelink Build has the latest Solex on it, which also includes the ability to download updates for the app itself and install them. I know the latest build of Solex here has support for VTOL modes, so this is really a matter of getting the latest version to you, which I expect will happen once the current alpha is out of beta.

1 Like

So is an Alpha build just an unreleased developer version pre-Beta? Just trying to understand the naming scheme.

Cheers,
Christian

Yeah. A build is in Alpha, then passes from that into Beta, and then goes on to be the normal version everyone uses.

1 Like

Is there a Solex update for
herelink Quadplane yet please?

I’ve been checking back and haven’t found an announcement/indication as of yet. QGC seems to work with quadplane modes (on the ground) so that is my only option to explore until Solex supports VTOL.

-Christian