SB_0000002 Critical service bulletin for Cubes Purchased between January 2019 to July 2019. DO NOT FLY

Hi Philip
Are there any reason why you edited the parameters out of the original post?
Is the check on the parameters not enough to catch the error?

/Nikolaj

Hey,

I got this issue one of our Cube’s. It took about 3 hours until the issue appeared.
IMU 3 stopped working.
I will put other unit to a testing for a while, if there are more of these.

Here are system info: (serial number in here?)
PX4v3 00330025 30365104 32363637
PX4: 1e7ed30b NuttX: 1472b16c
ArduCopter V3.6.0 (2eedcf56)

BTW the MissionPlanner “HotFix” doesn’t work if older firmwares used / NuttX

Hello Philip
Why did you edit the parameter values out of your original post?

Is the check no sufficient to catch the bug?

/Nikolaj

Regarding PX4.

You use PX4 100% at your own risk. We have no say whatsoever on that.

We recommend Ardupilot, it is the worlds leading open source Autopilot.

1 Like

Yes, some people were misunderstanding the issue.

ALL 2019 cubes are grounded… regardless of the ID’s showing up.

What the ids show is if you are seeing symptoms, but is no guarantee that you will or will not see symptoms in the future.

The mission planner fix is a detection only, it is no fix.

Updates will be pushed to Ardupilot soon which may change this from a mandatory to an advisory. But only after testing

I mean that I didin’t get any “warning” or other kind of message from MissionPlanner 1.3.65 version. The check doesn’t work for all Cube users.

I checked the updated MissionPlanner code and on NuttX or older firmware (3.6.0) (not sure which is the cause) doesn’t have the “CubeBlack” message, then it doesn’t check the values.

“comPort.MAV.SerialString.Contains(“CubeBlack”)”

The “messages” window shows this when I connect to the autopilot.

Frame: QUAD
PX4v3 00540038 3038510F 30343937
PX4: 1e7ed30b NuttX: 1472b16c
ArduCopter V3.6.0 (2eedcf56)

This is why ALL VEHICLES ARE TO REMAIN GROUNDED.

Please be patient while we work out how to effectively communicate the exact message to the right users, till then, stay on the ground.

Quick question. I’m running a Cube bought in 2018. Does this affect my cube, and will the the mission planner update detect whether I have the same issue?

This only applies to cube sold in 2019 at this point.

1 Like

Will it be possible to get a refund for 2019 cubes?

This is not a topic for discussion here.

Once we find the scope of this issue, we will have the discussion on fixing the problem.

We are not offering anything at this point other than putting all our resources into a solution.

[Withdrawn - my post was speculative at best]

@philip - you are handling this very well. Thank you for the detailed posts as information has become available. I look forward to your conclusions and the fix.

1 Like

Please don’t jump to any conclusions about anything. Any speculation as to what our solution to this problem will be, is pure fairytales at this point.

I purchased the cube and here2 combo in march but all the 6 parameters listed by you fully matched in my mission planner software after connecting with flight controller. Do I also need to ground my cube after checking the parameters which are fully matching?

If you purchased it this year, don’t fly it till we tell you.

I have multiple Cube Blacks, some of which are older and some of which are newer than Jan 2019. Is there any way for me to tell which ones are affected? Is there a serial number range which the defective units fall under?

Not yet, please be patient

Is this new Arduplane version 3.9.8 the fix for a problem? Plane 3.9.8 release - Plane 3.9 - ArduPilot Discourse

• implement hardware support to reset the CPU if a software or hardware failure causes the main loop to stop running
  • fixed a bug in the handling of a failure of the primary IMU in a multi-IMU system

This is a fix for the symptom, it’s in beta and needs testing.

It DOES NOT FIX THE ROOT CAUSE but MAY prevent your vehicle suffering catastrophic failure.

Your cube is triple redundant. The intention should not be to fly with that system compromised