SB_0000002 Critical service bulletin for Cubes Purchased between January 2019 to July 2019. DO NOT FLY

Thanks!

Same here

1 Like

MP 1.3.65 doesn’t work in my w10 pc
Immagine%201

@Michael_Oborne

@philip Thanks for keeping us all updated. It’s never easy having to deal with a problem like this, but I appreciate your transparency in the matter.

That being said, are there ways that I can verify which cubes are affected? I know that cubes that say “Pixhawk2” are definitely pre-2019. There’s also a “cube” branded cube with screws to hold the cap on, and a “cube” branded cube that uses clips for the cap. I also noticed that on the main PCB there’s a 4 digit number, is that a date code? (I’ve seen 1703, 1723, 1841, 1901) Is there a way to decode by the serial number under the cube?

Thanks again for all your help!

At this point, we are just looking at the software methodology.

The cubes marked “Pixhawk 2” are not in the suspect range.

The cubes marked “cube” with screws holding the lid down, are also not in the suspect range.

Once we have narrowed down the date range, we will add all potentially affected cubes to the auto detect list on mission planner

Do both nuttx and chibios fw are affected, or it’s a chibios only problem?

This is a hardware issue.

But the fix for the redundancy and fault detection is in Chibios.

Nuttx for Ardupilot is no longer supported. Please move to Chibios

yes, as soon as I put the beta copter to my cube

Error message pop up, saying : your board has a Critical service bulletin please see via SPI SCAN

now what should I do?

I will wait until further notice

Did you click the link?

Looks like you’re not on the latest mission planner beta, as it now tells you that clicking the link sends us information about the problem

I have a Pixhawk 2.1 Purchased on 12/28/2018. It says “CUBE” on top and no screws holding cover on.
Upgraded Mission Planner to latest version and then updated to latest Beta.
I fly fixed wing, but I saved my parameters to file and Uploaded Latest Copter Beta.
I just recently had an uncontrollable spin for no reason that I could find in the logs.
I currently have no faults.
I have a few old planes here I can sacrifice as well to test a fixed wing version.

For the plane crash, start a new thread in the Log analytics section, and let’s see what’s going on.

Once a plane Beta goes out, we will want Beta testers.

If you get no errors on the latest Beta, that’s a good sign!

I got the message saying my board has problem…

and there’s a link to this post.

that’s all

That’s correct, it sends us the information, so we can follow up with serial numbers etc

Thanks

@philip
My apologies for my message but since it seems that either i did not understand the “check” instructions properly or all my boards, even though i got from my supplier in 2019 are most likely a 2018 production and to make it clear for all:
a) Download latest MP beta update and reboot
b) download latest copter beta (3.6.8-rc1)
c) connect board and see if you will get any error or contact message.

Unless you get this you are good to go?

No, just because it passes, that’s not enough.

Unless you are specifically doing beta testing, or flying thing that are ok to crash… in areas that are ok to crash

The grounding is still in force!

Once we know exactly the batches affected, we will let you know

Hi Philip,

An friend of mine in South East Asia has a crash with one of their Copters with FLIR camera during a job few days ago. Started to jerk around like crazy for no apparent reason and then fell to the ground. He did not get the news on time. He usually sends me his logs whenever he has trouble and is not sure what happened. When he sent me this, the first thing I looked for is the ID in the parameters.

Should he contact you directly? As I do not have the Cube myself I do not get popup in mission planner, so not sure where the logs need to be sent. I have his logs so I can forward them to you with his contact details.

As a side not I do not know exactly which retailer they get their Cubes from, but I am yet to see any Cube retailer send out a warning email or post warning. We are registered at a few outlets (from older purchases) ourselves and I am yet to get any such emails. I urge you to urge them to do so and not take this lightly. Not everyone uses facebook or in is your group (my friend it not) and not everyone buys directly from CubePilot so would have not gotten your email about registering on your new forum.

Feel free to post this link on whatever forum, BBS, Twitter, electricity pole whatever.

We operate as a community, we have posted on the ardupilot forums, on Facebook, all over the place. But we rely on the community to assist with getting information out.

The one source of information for the cube is here. This needs to be part of people’s checks.

This is aviation, important notices will be here.

I will prompt all resellers again.

2 Likes

I would not post this notice externally anywhere. I am not a Cube reseller. I do not want to step on anyones toes or hurt anyone’s business.

I did post the link as you well know on Facebook Cube group, I called your attention to the fact that many did not get this info the first time as it was not pinned. Also that till date the older ground has more registered users than the new one. Also made suggestion about sending out the email which I am happy you did. I think this is exactly what you describe as a community effort.

Even now my suggestion was in this line, that you do prompt all resellers about this again. You can understand that everyone is hesitant to not hurt their businesses, so I guess they are all waiting to see how serious the situation is and how their counterparts react.

Anyway I did not get and answer to my question. About what he should do. Contact you directly? I mean his log might help with tracing the issue or you have enough logs already?

He should update mission planner and update his cube to lates Cube black copter beta.

Then after the update is completely done, connect.

It “should” detect the error and give him the opportunity to register the faulty cube