Air unit to air unit observations and issues - Can support help?

Following the documentation here I am attempting to use two air units. One in the GCS and one in the drone.

The air unit in the drone is V1.0 hardware running latest firmware.
The air unit on the ground is V1.1 hardware running latest firmware.

First observation - the documentation instructs you to flip the DIP switches in the ground unit. The photo is of V1.0. For V1.1 I found with the recommended config that the two units would not bind.
Instead if I set DIP ‘1’ down and ‘2’ up I am able to bind.

I can connect mission planner via UDPCL on 192.168.144.11:14552 and receive telemetry. Great!!!

Where I am struggling is my attempts to get video streams into VLC or mission planner.

The documentation shows different IP addresses between the instruction text and the screenshots - neither seem to work.

Can I assume that if I can get telemetry on 192.168.144.11 that the video stream is also on that IP?

Are there any additional or missing steps to be able to pull the video stream out? ( have confirmed that the video feed works by temporarily binding a herelink handset…oddly the handsettells me the airunit IP is 192.168.0.10 but I can not ping that IP when I am connected air-air)

I also have four bonus questions.

1. I had expected to be able to feed SBUS into the ground radio and for it to be passed out of the air radio but it does not seem to work. Seems like a fairly critical piece of functionality. Is it supposed to work like this or is my assumption wrong?
  2. Should I expect video output on the ground end HDMI port?
  3. Can I connect to the ground unit UART and pull out serial telemetry?
  4. The air unit can accept two HDMI sources - Is it possible to switch between them from the ground?

Super exciting potential with this, just need to make it work :smiley:
Really appreciate any help on this… Happy to provide input on updating the docs page once I have it all working.

Can any of the Cube team help?
@philip @sidbh @Mike_ZY

Hi,
just found this topic, and I’m looking for buying two air unit for similar purposes, and have some additional questions:

• If it’s possible to only have two Air-Unit talking to each other (one on a drone, the other on the ground connected to a computer), can I expect the same specs as the Controller + Air-Unit standard setup regarding range and data rate?

• What data rate can I reach (in addition to a video stream) with such a system?
    I have a lot of sensor data to update quickly and this involves a data rate of over 1Mb/s. Is this feasible in addition to the video stream?

• If not, is it possible to delete the video stream and thus benefit from more data rate to transmit my data?

Thanks very much!

Sadly I still can not get the system to work. At the moment I would consider looking at other products that seem to have more active support. Siyi for example.

Hoping my queries can be resolved eventually.

might need some more details about your setup

what ip are you assigning to your devices?

max data rate from air to ground is 16mbit, minus any video and mavlink you use. this number changes with distance

range would be similar to the GCS unit.

1 Like

I looked at Siyi, but seems to be a cheap alternative…
Do you know other similar products?
On my side I found OpenHD to be an interesting solution, but it’s somehow DIY.

Hi I tried with two 1.1 airunits(same firmware - 220706) and get both telemetry data and video.
I set ‘1’ down and ‘2’ up on ground ,and used different ip for telemtryand video stream .(.11 for telemtry and .10 for video),.and 10 for both also work
Also, some time have to check the hdmi cable connection.