BN-880 GPS not compatible?

I was able to buy the Beitian BN-880 made by FPVKing (well rated on Amazon), but the seller (FPVKing) says it’s not compatible with the Pixhawk 2.1 Cube. That seems surprising…especially since its listed here: https://ardupilot.org/copter/docs/common-positioning-landing-page.html

Can anyone confirm that it’s not (or is) compatible?

Thanks in advance.

I have used these as secondary GPS and it works. Make sure your Rx and Tx aren’t switched.

Obviously the best to use on the cube is the Here family of GPS’s. But if it works with ardupilot, it should work if the cable is correct.

Hm, shoot I ordered this unit but now that it has arrived and I’ve hooked it up, I’m not able to get it working.

I’m able to connect it to GPS2 on the Pixhawk 2.1, and power it up. Based on the status lights the GPS seems to acquire a fix, but in QGroundControl it’s reporting the Pixhawk doesn’t have a fix.

I’m pretty sure I hooked up the TX/RX correctly, but reversed it just to see if that would fix things. It didn’t…

I’m wondering if anyone has any ideas…I’d be very grateful. I took a video of the setup: https://share.icloud.com/photos/09hUKYF_mUMbknsDtptbBajHg

Screenshots:

Have you set SERIAL2_PROTOCOL?
Set LOG_DISARMED=1 and share a log.

Hm, I purchased a UBlox NEO-M8N-0-01 and am getting the same situation - lights on GPS unit indicate a lock, but no lock in QGroundControl. Here’s a video: https://youtu.be/1DXCc3oo-7o

Have you set SERIAL2_PROTOCOL?

Isn’t SERIAL2_PROTOCOL for the TELEM2 port on the Pixhawk 2.1? This unit is plugged into GPS2. Regardless, after your comment, I set it to GPS. SERIAL3_PROTOCOL and SERIAL4_PROTOCOL are also set to GPS.

Other relevant paraemters that are set on the Pixhawk 2.1:

• GPS_TYPE = AUTO
  • GPS_TYPE2 = AUTO
  • SERIAL4_BAUD = 38400
  • GPS_AUTO_SWITCH = UseBest

And here’s the wiring diagram that I used to wire up the GPS2 cable:

Log attached: log_40_UnknownDate.bin.zip (2.4 MB)

Let me know if you have any thoughts. Thanks Mallikarjun.

Yes, But you can always change it to GPS. Its just a serial port. Can you try setting GPS_TYPE==Ublox?
Whats on GPS1 port and GPS2 port?

Hm, okay I’ve been able to isolate the issue somewhat:

Pixhawk 2.4.8:

• Works: UBlox NEO-M8N-0-01 with Pixhawk 2.4.8 on GPS port with stock cable
  • Doesn’t work: (strangely) BN-880 with Pixhawk 2.4.8 on GPS port with stock cable

Pixhawk 2.1 Orange Cube:
Nothing works. I’ve tried:

• UBlox NEO-M8N-0-01 & BN-880
  • Two different soldered cables w/ reversing TX/RX
  • Both GPS1 & GPS2 ports with nothing connected
  • Setting GPS_TYPE & GPS_TYPE2 to both Ublox and Auto
  • Setting SERIAL2_PROTOCOL, SERIAL3_PROTOCOL, SERIAL4_PROTOCOL to GPS
  • Resetting all parameters and setting GPS_TYPE to Ublox.

This is making me think either (a) I’m terrible at soldering cables or (b) there’s some issue with this Pixhawk 2.1 Orange Cube…

Update: I bought a Here2 and it works out of the box, so I know GPS does work with this Orange Cube & my arudpilot setup.

That would make it seem like it’s definitely either the cable (made two) or the units.