Bootloader and firmware issues for PX4 on cubeorange+

I have recently got 2 cubeorange+ and a mini carrier board. I am a px4 developer and am having difficulties in uploading PX4 firmware on cubeorange+ boards.

I have gone through the documentation and it mentions support for both PX4 and Ardupilot.

I have tried flashing firmware using QGC for PX4 and I get the following error message.

I have tried the following in both windows and Linux in QGC, I get same error. ( both cubeorange+ boards ).

With Mission planner I am able to flash Ardupilot and the bootloader ( ChibiOS based ). However I cannot flash PX4 firmware.

In ubuntu I have also tried flashing using

make cubepilot_cubeorange 
make cubepilot_cubeorange upload 

and also for cubepilot_cubeorange_bootloader and px4_fmu-v3. These upload methods are provided in PX4 documentation.

This ends with either an infinite waiting at

[62/63] uploading px4
Loaded firmware for board id: 140,0 size: 42836 bytes (2.18%), waiting for the bootloader...

or crashes with the following error log

[1071/1072] uploading px4
Loaded firmware for board id: 140,0 size: 1948308 bytes (99.10%), waiting for the bootloader...

Attempting reboot on /dev/serial/by-id/usb-CubePilot_CubeOrange+_40004D000551393136333935-if02 with baudrate=57600...
If the board does not respond, unplug and re-plug the USB connector.
Attempting reboot on /dev/serial/by-id/usb-CubePilot_CubeOrange+_40004D000551393136333935-if00 with baudrate=57600...
If the board does not respond, unplug and re-plug the USB connector.

Found board id: 1063,0 bootloader version: 5 on /dev/serial/by-id/usb-CubePilot_CubeOrange+-BL_40004D000551393136333935-if00
WARNING: Firmware not suitable for this board (Firmware board_type=1063 board_id=140)
FAILED: platforms/nuttx/CMakeFiles/upload 
cd /home/paramd/workspace/px4-changes/PX4-Autopilot/build/cubepilot_cubeorange_default && /usr/bin/python3 /home/paramd/workspace/px4-changes/PX4-Autopilot/Tools/px_uploader.py --port "/dev/serial/by-id/*-CubePilot_CubeOrange*,/dev/serial/by-id/*PX4_BL*,/dev/serial/by-id/*BL_FMU*,/dev/serial/by-id/usb-The_Autopilot*,/dev/serial/by-id/usb-Bitcraze*,/dev/serial/by-id/pci-Bitcraze*,/dev/serial/by-id/usb-Gumstix*,/dev/serial/by-id/usb-Hex_ProfiCNC*,/dev/serial/by-id/usb-UVify*,/dev/serial/by-id/usb-ArduPilot*" /home/paramd/workspace/px4-changes/PX4-Autopilot/build/cubepilot_cubeorange_default/cubepilot_cubeorange_default.px4
ninja: build stopped: subcommand failed.
make: *** [Makefile:235: cubepilot_cubeorange] Error 1

Some forum posts mentions that a PX4 compatible bootloader needs to be flashed.

Has anyone tested PX4 on cubeorange+ (how ?) and flashed px4 compatible bootloader ?

Any help with these issues would be appreciated. Thanks !

We are working with PX4 dev team to get CubeOrange+ supported in PX4. There are some minor changes required to make Dual Processor chip being used in CubeOrange+ work on PX4.

Here is the PR which will add support for CubeOrange+ into PX4. Add support for CubeOrange+ into PX4 by bugobliterator · Pull Request #20304 · PX4/PX4-Autopilot · GitHub

1 Like

@sidbh
This is March 2023. When can we get the problem resolved?

Two things to be aware:

The Cube Orange+ has a separate board ID and build target in PX4.

To build, you do:

make cubepilot_cubeorangeplus_default

Also, support for Orange+ has not been released in PX4, so current stable v1.13.3 does not exist for +.

This means you need to either build from source or wait until v1.14 is out which is planned to be “soon”.

Hi,

I just bought a The Cube Orange+ and wanted to use PX4.
Now I found the same issues described in this thread.

Any news in the meantime?
Is there any PX4 firmware file available which works on Orange+ ?

Thank you!
Best regards,
Andreas

Return it while you still can. We have been waiting for Orange+ support for a year and still no sight of it. Find one of the non plus models instead if you want to stay with Cubepilot.