Cube Orange only works with USB plugged in

The issue I’m having is with the CubePilot Cube Orange.

So I’ve tested this Cube on both CubePilot Cube mini carrier board and the Airbot Cube carrier board. In both cases whenever I provide power (plug in LiPo) to my quadrotor the ESCs boot up and the carrier boards receive power, (checked with multimeter) the Cube Orange does not start up.

If I plug the Cube Orange into my computer via the micro USB port or provide 5v power source (portable battery) through the USB, while it is mounted on a carrier board and then plug in a LiPo into my quadrotor the Cube Orange boots up.

If I remove the Cube Orange from the carrier board and plug in a USB 5v power source or my computer, by itself the Cube will not boot.

Thoughts anyone?

In both cases whenever I provide power (plug in LiPo) to my quadrotor the ESCs boot up and the carrier boards receive power, (checked with multimeter) the Cube Orange does not start up.

Not sure how does you carrier board receive power but the Orange Cube doesn’t. They should work together not standalone.

If I remove the Cube Orange from the carrier board and plug in a USB 5v power source or my computer, by itself the Cube will not boot.

The Cube will not work by its own. It must sit on a carrier board

Here is a short video of the error.

Can you show me your battery-POWER1 connection?

It’s powering up just. Not initialising fully from the looks of it.

What else is connected when you are powering via battery on UART and can ect.

Also their has been an bootloader update to resolve some issues you could try that but please be aware that does not come with out risk if something goes bad.

If the Cube Orange is powered by battery only, can it connect to Mission Planner via telemetry?
Maybe the Cube does not receive enough power from battery such that it needs USB power to fully power up?
Does this problem exist when you use standard carrier board?

I have several Black Yellow and Orange cubes. The problem is the low quality. Most of them start doing this at some time. Some of the cubes cannot start motors at more than 40 rpm with no reason. You will get used to it

So, we ran another test.

We have no issues running PX4 on the Orange Cube and it boots up well and can be armed after about 15 seconds which is when the ESCs ready up.

The test we ran is
We have two drone frames.

Drone A: Has 4x single Airbot Wraith32 V2.1 35A ESCs with 4x KDE 380kv motors.

Drone B: Has 1x 4-in-1 Tekko32 Metal ESC with 4x KDE 330kv motors.

Drone B with PX4 (up-to-date) firmware can boot up and arm perfectly fine using an Orange Cube with Airbot carrier board, the ESCs arm pretty quickly.

Drone A with ArduCopter (4.0.3) installed in the Orange Cube with standard carrier board boots up perfectly fine and ESCs connect properly after about 15 secs.

When Drone B has the Orange Cube with ArduCopter (4.0.3) firmware installed it, the ESCs never arm. This leads us to believe that ArduCopter may not support the Tekko32 4-in-1 Metal ESC.

We have already tried three different types of carrier boards (CubePilot mini, Airbot, CubePilot standard) with the ArduCopter flashed Cube Orange as well as a flashing ArduCopter firmware to another Cube Orange and Cube Black.

We tried two different Tekko32 4-in-1 ESCs Metal and Non-metal; neither seem to arm on ArduCopter flashed Cube Orange but the Airbot Wraith32 single ESCs worked fine.

The Tekko32 4-in-1 ESCs work fine with the PX4 Cube Orange.

Thoughts?

Are you using the ESC to provide battery voltage and current ?

I would open a post on Ardupilot forum. I have had a look and their has been some sync issues with that ESC it seems.

Sorry but this is nonsense. If you having issues create and post and people will try to help. Their is no massive quality issues with the cube series outside the published technical builtins.

@Maxim Try adding some bootup delay with param BRD_BOOT_DELAY. That will help troubleshoot the issue.

A delay of 500ms seems to have solved this issue.