Herelink COMPASS_PRIMARY error

Noob to cubepilot and ardupilot here… I have the Herelink controller system and a cubepilot orange with the here3 GPS all setup for a new build… i have gone through every single setup manual around and for whatever reason on my herelink controller with Qgroundcontrol i constantly get the message: Parameters are missing from firmware. You may be running a version of firmware QGC does not work correctly with or your firmware has a bug in it. Missing params: -1:COMPASS_PRIMARY

what could this possibly be i have the here 3 set up on can1 and in ardupilot its priority is 1. Im working on a massive quad with 29" props… i cant have questionable settings ya know lol

This may because the QGC on Herelink is older than the Ardupilot on your autopilot. There are some parameter changes on Ardupilot 4.0.7 and old QGC couldn’t recognize it.

You can connect your autopilot to Mission Planner to see if this message show up.
If you are very aware of this message, you may try beta firmware on Herelink, as it contains a newer QGC.

I have the same problem, I can provide more data to help …
2 days ago I did the Herelink update with flasher_win, including the air unit; it was clearly a recent update.
I have performed these tests today:

• I install in cube orange with mission planner the stable version of the URL ArduPilot firmware : /Copter/stable/CubeOrange, having the version "1.3.75 buid 1.3.7883.26.333 arducopter V 4.0.7 ( 0bb18a15) "; I perform a “Reset to Default” of the parameters. In this case, in herelink and QGC I have the same error mentioned in, it is not solved.
  • I install the latest version from the URL ArduPilot firmware : /Copter/latest/CubeOrange, having the version “1.3.75 buid 1.3.7883.26.333 arducopter V 4.2.0-dev (65a38b26)”; I also do a parameter reset. In this case, in herelink in QGC, it connects, but does not read the parameters, it says an error “Vehicle 1 did not respond to request for parameters. This will cause QGroundControl to be unable to display its full user interface”.

What is the configuration, with its versions, that you have proven that works well and that it does not give these messages? Also taking into account the recent update of herelink.
Anyway, do you get the same error? Is this important?

Also, and to avoid these mistakes, is it worth using PX4? How bad is using PX4? Years ago Ardupilot was better, is it still that way today?

Thanks for everything

Just want to clarify that flasher_win don’t actually give controller unit the latest firmware. It is more like restoring the controller back to factory settings. Controller is being updated after you entered the key.

Try the latest stable. The resolution changed so it is easy to notice the update. Remember to update both air unit and controller.

Dev firmware tends to contain new/experimental parameters.

Verify your serial port baud rate on autopilot. It should be 57600.

Alvin: Just want to clarify that flasher_win don’t actually give controller unit the latest firmware. It is more like restoring the controller back to factory settings. Controller is being updated after you entered the key.

Clearly the console displayed the message “downloading firmware”, but this is the least of it.

Alvin: Try the latest stable. The resolution changed so it is easy to notice the update. Remember to update both air unit and controller.

As I have already mentioned, I have already tried the stable version in cubepilot orange; also in herelink from android (as its documentation indicates) I have updated to the latest version; also to the air unit, also from flasher (as indicated in its documentation), but just in case, from the herelink itself in android, the option to update the air unit appears and I have applied it.

Alvin: Dev firmware tends to contain new/experimental parameters.

It is its own documentation that indicates that the latest version should be used https://docs.cubepilot.org/user-guides/here-2/here-2-can-mode-instruction#allocating-node-id-method
I do not understand that they comment that it cannot be used now or in that case, they should review the documentation and give a solution

Alvin: Verify your serial port baud rate on autopilot. It should be 57600.

Serial port baud inside herelink? Are you sure? In any case, I already fixed that problem and it had nothing to do

I asked other questions, the most important ones, which you have not answered, now I ask it again:

What versions should we have, what steps should we take so that this error does not appear. There are several options:

• The error does not happen, because please tell us what version and compilation number you have in both herelink and ardupilot and what steps you have carried out.
  • They have the same problem, then please tell us if it is not a critical error and when they are going to solve it.

Also, and to avoid these mistakes, is it worth using PX4? How bad is using PX4? Years ago Ardupilot was better, is it still that way today?

The message means downloading factory/stock firmware. The up-to-date firmware is obtained from the system update app in Herelink.

The document was written before Here2 was available in Ardupilot stable. By the time you need our custom dev firmware to use Here2. There is no need to for now. You can just use the official stable Ardupilot firmware.

I’ve tried again. Previously I thought it is due to bad telemetry link but looks like it is not.
My setup:
Air unit : AAU01210729
Controller : BRU01210730
Orange Cube: Ardupilot 4.0.7 and Ardupilot 4.2.0-dev
When using Ardupilot 4.0.7, no problem at all. When using Ardupilot 4.2.0-dev, QGC connected but parameters won’t load. QGC in Herelink shows the message Vehicle 1 did not respond to request for parameters. This will cause QGroundControl to be unable to display its full user interface
Tried with desktop QGC, it won’t auto connect to Ardupilot dev. It requires manually comm link setup. In desktop Mission Planner there is no similar problem.
Therefore I guess there is some compatibility problem between latest Ardupilot and QGC due to Ardupilot’s recent change in latest firmware.

I suggest you should google for more information because our opinions may be biased, as we have relatively closer relationship with Ardupilot.

There is no such best system to be used but only most suitable for specific scenario.
For example the license:
Ardupilot is GPL and PX4 is BSD. Ardupilot has shorter update cycle and bigger user base to test for new features. PX4 is better for companies who wants to keep their modifications themselves.

It would be a long discussion to compare every single part between Ardupilot and PX4. Also we don’t know your exact situation so we can’t decide which firmware is more suitable for you. You will need to do the research yourself.

ok…:wink:

Right now I have Orange Cube: Ardupilot 4.0.7 and I have a message in Herelink’s QGC “-1: COMPASS_PRIMARY”. From what I understand, if I’m not mistaken, there is a compatibility problem in QGC, is that right? If that is the case, then I pose the question: is that error critical? In Herelink they install QGC, do you plan to complain about this problem with the QGC developers or whatever?

i could be wrong but i do not believe this error to be critical… I’m still working on my build but so far all of the ground based te4sting i have done I’ve just ignored the popup and it doesn’t seem to affect anything.

1 Like

Vehicle 1 did not respond to request for parameters. This will cause QGroundControl to be unable to display its full user interface

I think this is critical because I found that the whole parameter list is not loaded into the QGC, if this error shows up.

But for

-1: COMPASS_PRIMARY

I think it is not critical.
You may try a cautious flight before actually go for important missions.

I have same issue but besides 1:Compass i get even, 1:MNT_RC_IN_ROLL, 1:MNT_RC_IN_PAN, 1:MNT_RC_IN_TILT
and Today got some EKF errors too: EKF2 IMU1 MAG0 ground mag anomaly, yaw re-aligned, EKF2 IMU0 MAG0 ground mag anomaly, yaw re-aligned.
But in SOLEX TX i dont get any error, and i was able to fly without any issue (Altt mode, loiter and RTL

)