Herelink remote USB tethering

Hi All,
I’m trying to connect the Herelink remote to MP on a windows laptop.
I noticed that the recent stable release features USB tethering and I prefer it over wifi tethering we’ve been using so far.
Yet - I’m unable to get it to work.
Is USB tethering really enabled and what is the process to get it working.?

Hi,
Yes it is enabled. Connect Herelink to a laptop via USB. Then in the Herelink settings turn on ‘USB Tethering’. On Mission planner select UDPCl and type in the Herelink IP and port 14552 and Connect.
To see the RTSP video stream, open VLC player and click on ‘Open Network Stream’ and give in the stream link ‘rtsp://192.168.42.129:8554/fpv_stream’.

It is not plug and play. You need some setup to get it work
https://docs.cubepilot.org/user-guides/herelink/herelink-user-guides/share-video-stream#3-connect-over-usb-tethering

Works! :slight_smile:
Thanks

@FWKSdrone using this same method you can use mavlink inspector in MP to view those messages

Thanks @Michael_Oborne that’s the method I’m currently using.
We’re having issues with our custom built telemetry that suddenly slows way down in mid flight for no apparent reason. Trying to isolate the cause for this, I wanted to verify that the Herelink’s air unit <> remote comms. sees the same issue.
Just to make sure it’s not something that originates in the Herelink’s PC tethering.

when MP is connected as well, try changing the GCS ID.

MP > Config > planner > gcs id

it could be clashing with QGC.

Is there a simple way to automate the enabling of USB Tethering? My team and I are hoping to integrate a Herelink with our product, but every time it is turned off the user needs to manually reconfigure USB Tethering to stream video.

What are you USB tethering right now? A lot has changed since this thread was written.

We are USB tethering the Herelink controller unit to a computer running Ubuntu. The video stream is directed to our web application so we can view it alongside other information. But every time the Herelink controller unit is rebooted, the USB tethering option needs to be reactivated manually. Ideally we just want the Herelink controller unit to sit there without the need to be interacted with.