Compass stop working on Here3+

Hello

This is the second time I have problems with the compass in the Here3+ GPS

The compass just disappear from the compass list, checked as missing.

I tought the compass may be faulty, so we have open the Here3+, and I realize it has the same i2c old connection inside:

So i took an old Here2 GPS I2C cable and connect to this port to the GPS1 port , and the compass show up in MP again.

So, why is the compass keep failing in the Here3+? I think is not the compass, is the CAN bus I think is failing. Any idea?

The drone was working fine, until the compass were missing.

Here is the Here3+ params file
Here3+PArametros.zip (606 Bytes)

Just and update.

The compass now is in the compasses list, but i cant calibrated, no data from the compass.

@RoboMotic in I2C mode the Compass is emulated, it’s not directly connected to RM3100. It will show up on I2C but no data will be there. The issue in your case is most likely the compass is broken.

1 Like

Thanks, I think it is, but is so odd. I have another Here3+ with a compass failure. The here3+ was working fine until the compass stop working.

May be there are a here3+ batch that came bad? are you aware something like that? Thanks!

@RoboMotic There is no specific batch issues. The RM3100 compass coils are very sensitive, can break and exhibit the issue you are observing. Best to contact your reseller for further support.

Hello!

We have a similar problem where wehave two GPS modules connected to a cubeorange and they have worked well. Then, out of a sudden, the cube cannot detect the compass on one of the GPS anymore. They have the same hardware (4.19) and firmware (1.10.d5acdddc). I have tried to update the firmware in Mission Planner, but that doesn’t update anything new. I also tried manually updating the firmware (v1.13.2), and this did not make a difference.

What is interesting is that the CAN communication works fine and we get valid GPS data, but while inspecting the CAN traffic I can see that we get no uavcan_equipment_ahrs_MagneticFieldStrength data, which we get from the “good GPS”.

This has now happened to two different GPS modules.

What can we do?

Hello Victor.
I had to sent them back to my seller, and they sent me 2 new GPS.

Probably yours are bad too, dont waste any time and talk to you reseller.

bye!

1 Like

Alright, thank you for the info! :slight_smile:

SAME ISSUE:

We’re using 2 Here3+ GPS over UAVCAN. Each one is connected to a a different bus.
After a few flights, their compasses stopped being recognized by the Cube Orange+. Sometimes they would re-appear on MP and then disappear again. Their GPSs are usually stable and are constantly recognized, even when their compasses aren’t.
Their UAVCAN comms. seem fine throughout the issue, but they are not sending any MagneticFieldStrength messages over to the Cube.
Tried upgrading their FW to the latest - which didn’t solve the issue.

@sidbh any ideas?

Interesting!
Has any of you had other mechanical problems with the drones? Such as high vibrations etc.

do you mean, like high vibrations produce the compass failure?

Yes exactly, I wonder if high vibrations in the airframe could have an impact on the compasses, perhaps even be the reason why they break?

Mine was a big hexa, 30", with some vibrations. I thought the same at the end…

Ours is a big Hybrid, so it does have some higher-than-usual vibrations.
We never had this type of issue with any of the electrical components we’ve used, including the Here2s we’ve used so far.