Connecting both HereLink and XRSR

Dear all,

I have bought the herelink and a new black cube with here2.
I would like to keep using my Taranis x9 with xrsr along with the herelink controller.
I tried to figure it out, but it seems it’s not possible.

is there is a way to keep them both?

You may try plugging in Taranis x9’s sbus to the cube instead of plugging in Herelink’s.
In this way you are not using the sbus control from Herelink.
If you are using solex, you can keep most of the button functional because they are controlled via mavlink(through telemetry).

1 Like

Hello!
Be careful with the Herelink+2,4Ghz remote control (Taranis)!
As they have the same band the range of your Taranis is very short!
Do some range test with your Taranis with the Herelink on, you will find that the range is short.
In my test i’d have less than 15 m, when i turned off the Herelink, i’d more than 50m…

I want to use the Herelink on a Nimbus VTOL, but before to leave the full hands to the Herelink i’d do my tests and calibrations with my Taranis. During the firsts hovers ( close flight) i’d some failsafe issues ( short events). So for my first transition and fixed wing flights i’d unplug the Herelink power supply.

So have look to your Failsafe settings!

I didn’t notice Taranis uses 2.4GHz for transmission.
Gabriel is correct. Herelink system will suffer interference if they are using the same frequency band. You need to be careful

yep, I aware of 2.4ghz problem, this is why the rcin getting here link connection or xrsr connection , but not both.

In this case I am afraid you can’t use them both, unless under very short distance.

agreed.
I using the taranis for tuning the drone, and communication checks.
once all is done, I disconnect the taranis and connect the air unit for code behaviour test.
I testing it now with aes256 encryption, but I am afraid of the delay between ground unit and the drone, as the result of encryption process.
the here link is great, but for my opinion there are some more work on the design of the unit.

hi, so if I don’t connect herelink sbus output to RC_IN of pixhawk cube, would interference still come into play when using alongside a 2.4 GHz RC?

1 Like

Potentially yes massively. The here link could interfere with the RC signal for sure. This is why these system have integrated Rc and telemetry with video to work around these issues.

Yes! Be very careful!
You can flight with both BUT just for weight and balance, don’t fly with RC and the Herelink powered.
Do all your setups with the RC if you are more convenient with it and when you’re satisfied, disconnect RC receiver , plug and power the Herelink and forget your RC :wink:

Hi there,

This doesnt make much sense to me because the herelink unit, as I understand from this thread, is transmitting video/autopilot control/gimbal control over 2.4gHz, however I only need the herelink for the video functionality. So my system would be:

Herelink air unit transmitting video signal to my ground system receving it (as well as GPS and other telemetry info that I can view in-flight)

Spektrum PPM output from its receiver into my Cube’s PPM RC-in for autopilot control, as well as 2 PWM signals coming out of my spektrum receiver and into my Ronin S gimbal in order to control the tilt and record start/stop. This has worked perfectly as I cant get the herelink SBUS 2 to control my ronin S gimbal at all through its Sbus connection.

So if I understand correctly, I am only transmitting/receiving one of each (one video signal, one control signal) over the 2.4gHz, and NOT two or more of each over the 2.4gHz, so there should be no problem?

I have not flown my huge machine (about 30 pounds total) farther than about 60 meters and but have not experienced any sort of interference as of yet, but now I am reluctant to until I can confirm with you that there is no problem using a separate radio for autopilot control and the herelink system for video transmission.

Thank you so much!

Herelink is a RC, telemetry, and video transmission all-in-one. They are all packed into a single protocol in 2.4GHz ISM. It doesn’t matter whether you are using all or partial of its capabilities. The system communicates in 2.4GHz.

So, if any other system is transmitting signal in the same band, they are going to collide and interfere each other. In that case, we cannot guarantee Herelink to be working properly as its spec.

However, there is a frequency hopping feature in Herelink, which switches the frequency within 2.4GHz band. Therefore, it is possible that your other 2.4GHz system has a narrow enough bandwidth, and Herelink manage to avoid it.

Base on different scenario, equipment, and other factors, the interference between 2 can be variate greatly.
Is Herelink still workable if there are other 2.4GHz devices in range? Probably yes.
Hence, can it still maintain the same maximum range? Probably not.
Hence, how much of its range would be reduced? We can’t tell.
You can still use the system in that way but it is not recommended. You should understand the risk and know what exactly you are doing.

I see what you mean. I am planning on doing some long range testing before I proceed with any serious flights.

I believe spektrum also uses a hopping system and therefore both systems would be trying their best to avoid each other, maybe that is why I am getting significantly more than 15meters? My other question is, what is the difference between 2.4 ISM and 2.4 DSMX? Could the difference there also be helping?

Lastly, I understand what youre saying about both being in a 2.4 band, however what happens when someone is flying Drone A purely through their herelink, and nothing else, while another person, unrelated, is flying their drone or airplane or any other RC (system “B”) also on 2.4 (as most systems are nowadays) in the same park with no problems? Isnt that the same thing?

Thank you for informing me on this as I dont know how it all actually works.

ISM refers to the legal usable band, while DSMX refers to Spektrum’s protocol. I think they are not comparable as they are descripting different things.

Although they are both in 2.4 band, the band is wide enough for multiple communications. Modern systems should have some kind of hopping function in different forms. Like you could have multiple wifi network while they are all 2.4GHz but sometimes they still interfere.

Also, as I have mentioned earlier, the way you put 2 system with same frequency on the same vehicle will generate interference very closely to each other. While for multiple vehicle using the same frequency flying in same place, at least the source of interference is apart for a few metres.

It’s not like something exist on the same band then everything is down. Other factors such as distance/magnitude/phase could also possibly affect the performance, which are too difficult to measure as a whole.