Herelink Air Unit usb port capabilities

Could Herelink Air Unit microUSB port support also some form of networking? USB network or usb ethernet device?

1 Like

Yes

1 Like

Any pointers how to enable usb networking on Air unit?

not yet, you will have to either experiment, or wait till after Beta is finished as our guys are crazy busy on this

1 Like

I would happily experiment if there would be a possibility to root the device :slight_smile:

The device is sold to you in that state already… go for it

1 Like

Hi,
I am also trying to communicate and transfer video through ethernet cable. Please keep me posted about the issue.

@frame Did you able to reach the root file and source code for implementation?

Thank you!

2 Likes

@Berk rooting was indeed simple:
adb shell
su

Not sure how it would be possible to compile extra modules and binaries for it.

3 Likes

@frame Thank you for the advice. Now I can reach air unit through adb shell however I couldn’t figure out how to reach source files and add some capabilities.

Any bread crumbs @philip??

1 Like

@sidbh

1 Like

I played with air unit usb port a bit more - managed to get telnetd on it - so I can monitor system while testing different usb devices connected with it. It does not recognize any usb devices I’ve been testing so far - like most common usb ethernet chipset (asix ax88772). Which probably means there are no drivers enabled in kernel in that regard. Interestingly ground unit does have asix ax88772 chipset support built in.

@sidbh - any pointers how we could enable asix ax88772 driver in kernel or general usb networking?
Could it be that USB host mode is not enabled on Air unit?

2 Likes

Best wait to the update after this next one, There are some cool things coming.

3 Likes

@philip are you suggesting that besides new herelink ground unit also air unit will gain USB OTG capabilities?

1 Like

whennnnn :slight_smile: :heart_eyes: :heart_eyes: :heart_eyes:

Yes

Tested Air Unit USB port for any OTG capabilities - after upgrading to latest beta firmware - and I dont see any changes from previous situation - ie OTG does not seem to be enabled in air unit kernel.
Also checked Herelink controller remote - OTG is enabled there. As a negative surprise discovered that while adb can be enabled from controller Android Developer menu - rooting the device seems to be now prohibited. @philip is it true? If so - is there a Herelink developer or OEM program - where access can be granted on agreed conditions?

Unfortunately, yes, much has had to be locked down due to some very unfortunate events by a competitor. We had intended that this was fully open.

Yes, we will be announcing our OEM support package shortly. This will not only assist you in developing on HereLink, but will also give you access to having OTA upgrades of your customisations to your users securely.

OTG capability has definitely been enhanced, but the port requires external power OTG lead

The first feature for everyone is USB mass storage for recording the video stream on the air unit.

RNDIS and USB Ethernet will be detailed soon

1 Like

Ok, thank you for the clarification. We will wait for the OEM support package announcement then.

@philip Any update on RNDIS and USB Ethernet on Air unit? I would like to develop some custom integrations yet they all need networking with the air unit to work.

Hello everyone,

I just made a post about this here but I figured this thread was also somewhat relevant.

I know that Herelink root access has been disabled and there is a new way to load custom apps (custom version of QGC) onto the hardware using flashboot. However, I followed all of the instructions for the image creation and flashing, but my machine gets stuck immediately and indefinitely on “sending”. Has anyone been able to successfully load their own custom QGC onto a Herelink remote unit using the image flash method? For reference, I am working in virtual Ubuntu 18.04 on VirtualBox