Is it possible: 8 motors in dshot?

Hi,
I was wandering, Is it possible to connect somehow 8 motors in DShot? Cube Black
Thank you
Gal

I tried DShot300 (as this was the lowest protocol an APD ESC will take) on Cube Black’s AUX port and it didn’t work. I read that 4 are possible on a Pixhawk 4 (STM32F7), but then 5th and 6th no longer worked. I have Orange Cubes with H7 and will test DShot soon, but there’s only 6 AUX ports available.

Ok, answering my own question here, I should have googled better.

The Pixhawk has no dedicated digital output or input pins on its DF13 connectors, but you can assign up to 6 of the “AUX SERVO” connectors to be digital outputs/inputs

So basically you can have a Hexacopter with DShot ESCs but not Octocopter, which makes me wonder why Cube has only 6 aux and not 8? Aren’t we in the digital age?

You can have DSHot on main, just not feedback

The future is CAN, not DShot, get with the secure Digital age :slight_smile:

PWM and DSHot is pre 2020… it’s time to move on.

1 Like

Hi @philip,

Sorry I’m kind of a beginner so I didn’t understand the “feedback” you mentioned? do you mean telemetry will not work?

Well, I looked it up and it comes with a bit of a hefty tag price (8x$71 usd) :cold_sweat:

Thanks,
Gal

what can bus esc did you look up? If you don’t need bunch of amps holybro makes these20 amp can esc that pavel from zubax has helped them with. I have a set just working on a different build will confirm tonight they work with pixhawk for you!

1 Like

Hi @Matt.C, thank you for the answer and link, maybe I can join the digital age after all :smile:, however I need to think what to do with my two T-motor F55A 4in1 which I already own.

I plan a 850 mm quad in X8 configuration and I planned to connect every 4 motors to one 4in1 esc.

Anyway, thank you for the pointer
Gal

Yes, 8 without telemetry.

1 Like

Save’ um and build a wee little quad for beta testing, will be a bit of overkill but oh well!

2 Likes

So let me see if I understand:
I can set the MOT_PWM_TYPE=4, SERVO1_FUNCTION-SERVO8_FUNCTION=33-40, SERVO_BLH_AUTO=1
and all shall work including passthru, except I will not be getting the telemetry on serial5 anymore?

Thank you for taking the time to answer me, much appreciated.
Gal

Do tell, please.
I tried DShot 300 from a Black Cube AUX1 port to an APD X-Class 120A ESC - as DShot300 is the minimum protocol it accepts - and the result was ugly: weird response and ESC resets. Same was experienced on an old Pixhawk 1 AUX1 port, so I excluded F4-based FCs from possible builds.
There are reports it works on a Pixracer (F4 ugh!), and also on Pixhawk4 (F7), but only to the extent of 4 ESCs. Time constraints have prohibited me testing it on a H7 Orange Cube.

Well, I’m just a hobbyist in its dippers as of yet. I need to learn to walk before I run :smile:.

I shall try the UAVCAN ESC after I shall crash the new one :wink:
Gal

1 Like

Aux is direct connection two way comms with the FMU

Main is one way protected high current output from the IO chip

Aux has 6 pins
Main has 8 pins

There is no logical reason for any difference between chips in the Aux, other than some cheaper non genuine boards having no protection on the PWM lines.

1 Like

Well, lucky for me I use the Cube :wink:
Thank you
Gal

1 Like

Hi @philip,

One more question on this issue, since telemetry is reported separately on serial 5 (I planned to connect the t-motor 4in1 esc telemetry cables) wouldn’t it work? Or maybe I didn’t understand and the Cube when using aux pins actually receive also telemetry from the esc’s ?
Thanks
Gal

Hi Philip,
Question !.(not Cube related …but X8 and Dshot)
Just to know , on the pixhawk its possible to connect (max) 6 Dshot esc’s on AUX OUT if i’m right. Howto build an X8 with 8 Dshot esc’s ?. Is it possible to use 4 AUX OUT channels and connect 2 esc’s per one AUX OUT Channel ?. What would happen if this setup is used ? would this work including setup and telemetry ? . … The old Walkera Scout-X4 used a similar setup when upgrading to an X8 ( four double esc’s , four motor OUT channels) .

Hi, why do you hack my thread? The title of this thread says it all.
If you have a question which is not related to this than open your own thread.
Thank you
Gal

When using AUX, the RX is via the AUX pins, if you want to use 8, you need to use the seperate pin from the main, as main are robust outputs, but one way only

Matt, as a side note, I did purchase the Kotleta20 and it’s a nightmare. Soldering to it’s tinny pads was a very painful experience and the fact that there is no good way to mount 8 esc makes a messy installation. Very poor PCB design and product in my opinion.
Gal

could not agree more here with you, they are pretty miserable to solder and there is little to no instructions on there the capacitor goes and if it was needed I didn’t add mine as they were only working on 3S. I hope more can ESC’s come out soon that have a better design and smaller form factor, 8 of those would be huge. I don’t think prices will come down anytime soon as there really aren’t many can esc’s out yet and the ones that are, are pricey for hobbyist, mainly only for commercial applications!