Link keeps dropping

does the air unit have cooling?

The unit does not have active cooling no
 although the ambient temperature was around 10C and we took off less than 2 min after power on. This is my first build with a herelink, should it have active cooling? and if its a cooling issue why does it work for a half hour or more when sitting on the bench and transmit through an entire house with a clean signal?

if the ambient is that low i dont see it being an issue.

if it works on the ground for long periods, but not in the air then it makes me think its a power issue. ie the power wires are somehow linked between the motors and the herelink/camera. when the current goes up, it causes a power draw either though the herelink/camera, and causes the hdmi to drop out.

only thing i can suggest is trial and error at identifying the issue

or interference in the hdmi cable

By interference to do mean physical interference? like the cable is shaking around and losing signal? Or do you mean electromagnetic field interference?
I will have to check my wiring again but I am 99% sure I accounted for all the issues you mentioned
 Either way I really appreciate your help on this man. I will likely be up all night trying to figure this one out so if I find any new info I will post it on here tomorrow.

if it works on the ground, but not after take off.

then my guess’s are
something physical is moving/disconnecting/vibration
or
something EMI is creating interference.

in reality these are the only 2 possible options.

Well considering we have run into bugs like QGC not loading params if the herelink internal GPS is active, or Solex and QGC crashing at random times, or offline maps randomly disappearing off the unit after restarts, and all just in the first 4 days. I would say its safe to say there are some other possibilities.
We will double and triple check all of our work, believe me I would like nothing more than for this to just be a simple design flaw with our system.

if you can you could try get a debug log off the air unit after its happened
https://docs.cubepilot.org/user-guides/herelink/herelink-user-guides/generate-a-bug-report
then can have a look through that

As I said in the other post tour video issues have to be local to your copter, as you can see for your self there are not posts upon posts of people who have this same issue.

I would be starting with the power system for the Air unit and camera and looking at grounding issues.

Then look at your HDMI cable and try another making sure is a properly shielded cable.

After that it’s look at noise from your propulsion system affecting the HDMI specifically and then I would look at cable routing and again ground paths.

There is something killing the HDMI feed on that craft and your going to need to investigate it. Sorry but when your building craft there is always going to be things like that where issues and compatibly need to be worked though.

On the app crashing I have not had a single crash since the latest update however if your getting it regularly please post the logs so Kelly and the devs can look at what’s going on. It is possible what’s killing the HDMI is also driving the crashes as well though.

It is certainly not not normal behaviour and no one I have seen posted before.

Hi.

Im facing the exact same problem, with two different herelink. I wounder about the new update. Is it still possible to control two separat recievers with the air unit after update? I was emailing about a different problem with manufacturer, and i recall he told me that there would be some changes about the second sbus output?

@philip
@MadRC

Exactly what are you trying?

We built a dodecahexa frame, and need the PWM outputs for additional relays and so on.

You can see it fly on our Instagram “uassweden”

So, is the possibillity to use two recievers still there after update?

Also, the QGC doesnt support the frame neither in app or in pc. Any plans for implementing this?

@philip

Hello everyone,
I dont know if anybody has any fix to this issue yet, but it seems that I have the same problem.
Had my Herelink controller sent in for repairs after the last firmware update and after return the sticks worked fine. But the next problem was that I had full connection of both video, RC and telemetry inside, but outside I lost the telemetry connection (could still drive the boat with the controller).
Is there a solution to this problem yet?

@Michael_Oborne?

1 Like

I would check cabling. For you to have control but no telemetry sounds like a lose cable or similar

An update of the firmaware seemed to fix it. I reinstalled everything on the Herelink system and afterwards I had full connection inside and outside. It also fixed the compass calibration (which I never got in the green zone).

Do a reinstall and that will fix most of the older and newer bugs.