Need help softening landings

Yes! I will post my Flight logs soon.

No But I don’t think that’s the issue.

Sorry to hear about that Mike - let’s see the .bin log before we try again.
Looking over the previous logs and settings, I suspect you’ll need to lower the Angle P terms a bit, like:
ATC_ANG_PIT_P,3.0
ATC_ANG_RLL_P,3.0

Also there a bug discovered in the ground effect compensation function, so that will help with landings when it gets fixed.

Attached is the flight log for this crash landing. 00000460.BIN (1.2 MB)

The Log file is attached.

Hi Mike

I had similar issue with a drone, using the Here2 over CAN (very high HDOP), I have use the landing flight mode, the drone start do land but the landing wasnt straight, start to drift on the landing and finally tip over.

I have change it to I2C and I never have the problem again.

I think may have to do with the battery im using, because could generate a Mag interference on the compass, and I ccan see you have your battery very close to the compass, what kind of battery are you using? I have a Li-Ion

Bye!

I am using 2 MaxApms 23000mah LiPo Packs. Using 2 Here2 GPS connected to GPS1/I2C1 & GPS2/I2C2

Mike

Hi Mike,
sorry for not getting back to you earlier.
In that log it seems ATC_RAT_RLL_P is reduced to 0.10 and it looked like roll was overshooting then undershooting and lost control. Please correct me if you have a different view, since you were there and saw it :frowning:

Also you might be able to help those P terms work better by reducing the D terms a bit more
ATC_RAT_RLL_D and ATC_RAT_PIT_D to about 0.004
and that’s probably opposite to what I’ve said before, or at least different.

It will be nice to know when this aircraft gets off the ground Ok and flies.
You’re already logging the data to set up the Harmonic Notch filter, so if you have steady flight we’ll be able to put that in place too.

EDIT: I previously said you could lower these too:
ATC_ANG_PIT_P,3.0
ATC_ANG_RLL_P,3.0
or maybe make them 4.0 as a first step, since they are 5.0 now.

Shawn,

Thank you for your response. I will make these changes and perform a test fly. The main issue that I am have now is the extreme oscillation immediately from take off. This was not present in my first flight but started in my second flight. I will make the changes and test and let you know how it goes.

Also, l’m looking for a good 3d print file for a Here2 gps tower. Any recommendations?

I was looking back over the log files the other day and changes I’ve been suggesting, and we’re making very small changes but the oscillations went from almost nothing to massive without any param changes between two flights (if I’m following the logs correctly). Normally the changes we’re making would slightly exaggerate oscillations, or smooth them out - not turn the craft from flying to unflyable.
It seems like something else changed.
Are you able to run a MissionPlanner motor test - “all in sequence” and check if the sequence of motors operated does in fact go around from front right to the next motor clockwise and so on?

I will run the sequence of motor tests. That’s something that I do quite frequently to check the directions of the motors. I will run the tests and let you know how it goes.

Mike