Power Supply?

What would be a good power supply for the Air unit? I am planning to use 6s batteries and a Pixhawk cube. Can I power the Airunit from the pixhawk? Or can I power it from the powermodule that comes with the pixhawk?

Air Unit is 5-12v with I believe a 4 watt max draw (pretty sure I saw that spec somewhere, iā€™ll find it and follow up). If youā€™ve got a 6s system iā€™d just get a buck converter (BEC) (that supports 6s input) and set/get one with a voltage in the 5-12v range and verify it has the current capacity based on the voltage you select to support the max power draw.
I use this: https://www.readymaderc.com/products/details/matek-ubec-duo-esc-4a-12v-5v?gclid=CjwKCAiAgqDxBRBTEiwA59eENyrIJ7XvDW3Mlgj3d0ebey2fA_7JUr_9wA_5iGhDXVMQ1Ox4_yxEkxoCf20QAvD_BwE
Havenā€™t had an issue and can run other peripherals off it as well.

See @philip ā€˜s post/SB about not powering off the rail

1 Like

Apologies, less than 4 watts is average. Not 4 watts max.
ā€œPower consumption: the average power consumption of the single-sided module is less than 4Wā€ from 3DXR product description

Ok, just what I was looking for, a second power supply (or just a general upgraded one) sounds like the right thing (and I can use it for other stuff). The power supply that comes with the cube could possibly be used, but I havenā€™t found great tech specs since I think they may be just throw in a cheap one.

(My only hesitation in ordering the HereLink is the lack of any updates for the past 6-7 months, I assume it isnā€™t dead yet?)

You could attach the BEC to the power brick and that could be treated as your bus, few ways to do it. I personally love the Herelink, think the lack of updates is due to them rolling in Solex which seems like a pretty major undertaking.

1 Like

2S battery is best

1 Like

@philip
so which voltage is the best for maximum range , iā€™m so confused ?

2S
Size the mA rating accordingly for the time you want it to run.

1 Like

I used 2s 800mA battery and i test it for 30 minutes and it seems like ok to me.

1 Like

Helloā€¦Check your AMP reading for your unit. Extension cords come in various amp ratings and in your case a heavy duty 15 or 16 amp cord may be necessary. Too light of a amp rated cord would heat up and may cause a fire. That is probably why the instructions say not to use an extension cord since most are low amp rated and the mfg could be held liable as most consumers do not know the difference.
And yes it is safe to use the proper rated extension cord.

Iā€™ve used 2 different 12v stepdown converters putting out 12v and blown exactly 2 herelink air units. 5v will not power the unit well enough to be consistent and just shuts down if you try to plug an hdmi video feed in.

Hi. Same problem to power the herelink but also having some problem to power my gopro gimbal. I want to use only one battery to power the whole drone. I am bit confused. Can I power the herelink and gimbal in this way -----> The drone battery will be connected to pixhawk cube orange power bridge mini (input) and the output of power bridge mini to my PDB (power distribution board). The other port of power bridge mini will be connected to pixhawk cube orange power pins to power the pixhawk cube orange. In this way, the pixhawk cube orange and Power distribution board will get power. After that I need to utilize four positive pins and four negative pins to power my 4 droneā€™s esc as I am making a quadcopter. The left over pins on the power distribution board will be utilized to give power to the herelink system and the gimbal but there the problem will be that the power distribution board will have so much power, so to reduce the power to 12 volt, we can use bec ( battery eliminator circuit) or a voltage regulator to reduce the power. In this way one battery can be used to power the herelink, pixhawk cube orange, gimbal and power distribution board ( the esc ). Am I correct ?

[quote=ā€œBiswajeet, post:13, topic:2691, full:trueā€]
Hi. Same problem to power the herelink but also having some problem to power my gopro gimbal. I want to use only one battery to power the whole drone. I am bit confused. Can I power the herelink and gimbal in this way -----> The drone battery will be connected to pixhawk cube orange power bridge mini (input) and the output of power bridge mini to my PDB (power distribution board). The other port of power bridge mini will be connected to pixhawk cube orange power pins to power the pixhawk cube orange. In this way, the pixhawk cube orange and Power distribution board will get power. After that I need to utilize four positive pins and four negative pins to power my 4 droneā€™s esc as I am making a quadcopter. The left over pins on the power distribution board will be utilized to give power to the herelink system and the gimbal but there the problem will be that the power distribution board will have so much power, so to reduce the power to 12 volt, we can use bec ( battery eliminator circuit) or a voltage regulator to reduce the power. In this way one battery can be used to power the herelink, pixhawk cube orange, gimbal and power distribution board ( the esc ). Am I correct ?

I really didnā€™t think Iā€™d end up here, geez, okay, I have two herelink systems that Iā€™m working with.

Using a Standard AC/DC Adapter 12v 3.33A power supply on my test bench with Pixhawk cube black, everything works every time I boot it up.

But when attempting to boot the same herelink air module in UAS using a 12v 5A UBEC I only get telemetry, but here is the weird thing, I can re plugin power from the output of the UBEC to the herelink Note: while the UBEC is already powered up, and video comes right up consistently, itā€™s only when I boot the system as a whole using a 6S 25000 MAH lipo, or Large DC bench power supply.

Things Iā€™ve tried so far:
0 confirm my HDMI source is good.
1 try different HDMI Cable. or a known working one from my test bench.
2 change herelink air module, Does same thing.
3 measure monitor and record voltage power on spikes and monitor current inline. all seems fine when monitoring the current before and after adding a cap on the output of the UBEC I noticed the herelink drawing only 200mah vs the 300 without cap, not sure this is consistent though as only one test was preformed.
4 try using a different voltage 7.4v, 9v, 12v.
5 try using a different UBEC.
6 use Stock antennas without extensions.
7 add a capacitor to the output of the UBEC
8 while system is on, I try and re plug the HDMI connection.

Hope this helps you help me help others

Thanks,

I think one problem is the right timing of the HDMI signal and HereLink startup as well as the communication with the app. I have noticed that the video transmission is not starting reliable if the video source is started to late after the booting of the HereLink or if it is stopped and started again. It might also be a problem of QGC because it eventually starts again after restarting the app.

Are you powering the GoPro from the same battery as the HereLink?

Iā€™m using a small imbedded computer like raspberry pi called a humming board, It does in fact start then moment pause then restart and change its HDMI output resolution at each start, Oh I need to update my last post yes Iā€™ve attempted to restart QGC and the remote controller independently and together with UAS together and are having the same results with no video,

Itā€™s just so weird that the test bench works powering everything as a whole pretty much the same.

Iā€™m going to test powering on the system as a whole again with UAS without HDMI plugged in, then once the HDMI source has fully booted and is set on its output I will plug it in and see.

I am noticing that the LED1 is alternating orange and green when HDMI is plugged in, and solid orange when disconnected, but despite that when itā€™s plugged in I still donā€™t get a live feed.

1 Like

Okay, interesting, the following did not work:
Powered system on as whole without HDMI plugged into the herelink air module, and waited to connect an HDMI source until it was ready 1920x1080p 30fps, plugging in the HDMI source made no change to the solid orange LED1, I even restarted the QGC app but still nothing, while everything was still on I restarted the HDMI source with a negative result, I tried re plugging the HDMI source many times and waited, nothing, I then re plugged power between the here link and the UBEC and it came right up. same as before without having to restart the QGC app. and when it works itā€™s great stable video and telemetry link, I can move cables around nothing I can see or do to make it fail without taking a hammer to it,

I thank you for your support and effort hextd.

1 Like

Update: my last test was not exactly accurate, So Iā€™m attempting to recreate the issue on my test bench once again,

So the bootup resolutions are the same they donā€™t change, the first 1-30 seconds are only showing a logo 1920x1080p 60 fps solid logo, then once the program finally starts it re initializes to live camera view, which is the same 1920x1080p 60 fps my Samsung TV shows Note: if no cameras are connected to the Humming board camera, only the logo will remain on screen. soā€¦ my first retest on the bench had cameras where the test I did with the unmanned system had no cameras.

Continuing to testā€¦
So I found that booting the herelink without an HDMI source on test bench waiting to plug in the source to herelink after had waiting some a few seconds time, my source is still in the booting process just before the HDMI restarts cameras initializes, Note: the logo did not show but only source was detected showing only a black screen, but when the live image from the cameras starts it shows the live feed coming from the cameras and itā€™s working normal. remembering my test with the UAS I didnā€™t have the cameras connected and was expecting to see a logo, but the difference was it said no input signal detected on the UAS.

Now, knowing this I disconnected the cameras from my test bench, and booted without HDMI source connected to herelink, then when I connected the source expecting a logo I got a black screen, I then unplugged the HDMI from the Humming board and plugged it directly into my Samsung tv and instead of showing the logo it actually made the entire screen turn black as if it was off, but the TV was not off just sort of stuck in a weird state, and! even after I unplugged the HDMI cable from the TV it remained visually as if it was off crazy right? itā€™s until I press source about five times does it get out of that state.

I do know that I can have everything on my test bench connected prior to powering on and see the logo as normal, with or without cameras connected, If I plug in source late to the herelink when the orange LED1 light comes on with or without cameras connected it shows black screen instead of logo, but once cameras begin steam or when the output restarts it beings working, but this really isnā€™t an issue as the video is always being detected as normal when plugged in from start.