QGC freezes when recording video

If this problem exist in multiple copters across various version, it may be related to the hardware setup.

Can you tell more details about your setup? Such as the Camera, length of HDMI cable, how you power the Herelink, etc.
A picture will be great

@Alvin, thanks for ur reply…
Actually the video stability problem doesnot lie at the groundend herelink i.e. video is stable on herelink but when we connect herelink to some other laptop/pc/surface tab via udp we have seen video lag issues in the secondary display i.e. laptop/tablet… The video starts normal but as time passes on, the video lag tends to increase… I would like to know that wifi inside herelink is sufficient enough to support video streaming? Are there any requirements for our wifi router for stable streaming? Since we have been using Mission Planner (V1.3.74) as our secondary display unit in our tab/laptop, can this be related to MP or do u foresee some other issue?
The problem related to video recording was there in old release as well as latest stable release… We didnot put effort on solex but in qgc, the video recording is alwaz a problem, the app/screem gets stuck and we need to wait till all is ok… Since video recording is essentially a part of our system, we wud like some advice from cubepilot team regarding this issue…
The last problem related to maps is that we copy the downloaded qgc maps but if we connect our copter, the maps are not displayed… Thus, for short time, we connect herelink to 5g and atonce the all the maps are displayed on herelink…
Your help wud be greatful…
Thankyou
Regards
Yasir Khizar

Hi, @Alvin
Links shows video recording problems :

1. When we press the video recording button, the qgc screen gets stuck for 5-10 secs as shown in the video… As the recording button is pressed, the pan/tilt command was applied and the camera was moving but the screen is freezed; though In the background, the video is being recorded…
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/1S05BYkH9XStdfZSJ4UgcnYCIrYzv9O51/view?usp=drivesdk
  2. In the 2nd case, when the video record button is pressed, it doesnot go in to recording… And we need to press 2nd time or likewise on 3rd or 4th iteration, video recording starts and again it gets stuck for 5-10 secs…
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/1S05BYkH9XStdfZSJ4UgcnYCIrYzv9O51/view?usp=drivesdk
  3. Moreover, we have checked the recorded videos. They starts from 18 secs, 20 secs, etc.
    Waiting for suggestions…
    @Michael_Oborne, @philip
    Thankyou
    Regards
    Yasir Khizar

May I know what camera are you using with Herelink?
Would it get stuck when taking photos?

Hi, @Alvin
We have used three cameras:

1. Yangda Sky Eye-30 HZ 1080P (30x zoom)
  2. Yangda Sky Eye-I 1080P (10x zoom)
  3. Viewpro Z30TM 1080P (30x zoom)
    I wud like to mention that we have tried video recording with atleast 3 other herelinks and we have the same observation. The same was also observed with herelink old firmware. Since we have not been recording video nor taking pictures on-board i.e. air end at the camera side, so i have no experience but i think it is just a pwm signal based on which recording or pictures will be captured and has no relation to qgc ground end.
    Thanku
    Regards
    Yasir Khizar

Do you have any of the camera listed in the link below, so that you can test with your Herelink?

Just in case the problem came from camera

Dont have any of these cameras. But our vidwo streaming in herelink is nearly perfect… Just have the qgc app freezing problem when video recording button is pressed… I think it is not related with the camera… Did u test video recording feature from qgc extensively and can u say that it runs without issue?
Thanku
Regards
Yasir Khizar

We have tested the video recording feature in QGC. It works perfectly.

Do you have a HDMI-microHDMI cable to output video from computer? Such that you can test the video from elsewhere from camera.

You may also generate a bug report so that we could look into it
https://docs.cubepilot.org/user-guides/herelink/herelink-user-guides/generate-a-bug-report

Hello Alvin,

The whole QGC crashes - it is not a problem of the camera. When I do not record everithing works without problems.
It seems to be an issue of the data stream of the herlink and the recording in QGC: I only have problems when the link signal is weak - It seems that insability/gaps in the video datalink of the Helrelink causes QGC to crash.

In this case we need the bug report to understand what happened in the Herelink

Hello, I have the same problem with a Cam CrossTour 4K set to 1080.
30 cm Hdmi Micro cable, in Solex everything works fine but in QGC crashes when I record.
force restart QGC.
but also the error message firmware 1_compass primary
I bought cube purple and herelink 1 month ago.
Thank you for your feedback. andré

Please go to App setting and clean the QGC’s app cache.
If this don’t solve the problem, try to reflash the firmware.

hello Alvin, thank you for your answer.but after clean cache, it’s the same thing.
when I press record the video goes away and a screen appears “waitting for video” then after 15 seconds the stream reappears but the record button is stopped, I press record again the video freezes on record button flashes and after 15 seconds the video returns and the record button flashes.
I stop recording but no video is recorded.
I flashed the firmware but it’s the same.
I’m disgusted … thank you

I have the same issue. Used to work fine on previous firmware. Switched over to Solex instead as we had a customer order due soon. Also a shame that recording to SD card was removed in the latest versions.

Agree here on the sd card recordings …

I have no clue whether this common sense of having video recording to the already less space in-built storage was a creation of a highly intelligent developer or a person with no experience in coding !!

Hello, il seams that many of us have this problem with QGC not working properly (error firmware compass_1 and video recording problem). So there is no solution for the moment? is that it ? firmware planned? pending then … +++

I have reported the problem to developers. It looks like the video recording in QGC crashes in most of the times. You may use Solex before the problem get fixed.

ok thank you, so waiting now.

hello, no news ? QGC with Herelink can’t record videos ? is i a bug ? thank you very muche for your answer

hello, some news about this bug?
i try ZeroPiCam with Raspberry PiZeroW ans hdmi out, all is ok with Solex, Qgc PC companion, records videos, play vidéos, but with QGC with Herelink it s impossible to record videos.