Relay Output on Orange Cube - need help

Hello everybody,
I have an pixhawk orange cube as arducopter, and I wanted to activate Aux Out 5 as a relay.
I also set the parameters in Mission Planner:
BRD_PWM_COUNT = 4
AUX out was set to 54, relay 2
And when I go into the Flight Data menu and want to test the Relay 2 function, nothing happens, only with servo output No.13, there I get a voltage change when clicking, between 0.1 - 0.3 V
How does this relay output work? Is this an open / close contact? Or how should it work this relay output? Do you need an additional relay board?
Where exactly do you have to connect the contacts?
I want to turn a headlight on and off.
Don’t understand the logic behind it.

Thank you for!

It outputs 3.3V.

1 Like

thanks, but on which pins exactly must be connected to get this 3,3Volt?
See my scheme/pictures with the connectors.
For example, i need a relay output on Aux 5

GND and Signal.
What do you want to use relay on?
You can set it high/low. That is 3.3V or 0V. If it’s triggering, You can send a 3.3V pulse.

thanks, i wann use a relay, that activated one LED BEAM for example, or a separate camera trigger
Where can I set the high/low parameter?

It works for triggering camera for sure. For LEDs make sure your voltage levels are matched or you can also use external relay.

Please, I´m not able to work relay pin.
I´ve tried to configure relay pin as settled in Camera Shutter Triggering using CHDK — Copter documentation (ardupilot.org) and Relay Switch — Copter documentation (ardupilot.org).
It works ok on arducopter 2.6 with APM 3.4.0 (parametric file attached) but no way to make it work on pixhawk cube even with last update apm 4.4.1. (parametric file attached) and a external 5V BEC (on aux 4)
Please, tell me how to configure pixhawk cube for camera trigger with relay pin.
Thank you: Federico

parametrics.zip (7.8 KB)

You have this correct: RELAY_PIN,54

Change this: SERVO13_FUNCTION,-1
and set an RC channel to be relay on/off: RC6_OPTION,28

Hello and thank a lot:
It must be something else as this did NOT work and I´ve rechecked after it that camera works properly with arducopter shown in pictures.

Have you tried anything in the MissionPlanner Servo/Relay tab ?
Operate the relay and measure for voltage on the relay pin to see if it is changing.
Maybe say which RC input you are using and provide a full parameter file.

The Cube outputs 3.3volts, the old APM outputs 5volts I think, so there could be something in that too.

Hello and thanks a lot:
I upload parametric file
I´ve used chanel 6 on my tx and I´ve measured voltage (it gives 5.27V between black and red and 0 or 3.27 between black and white depending on switch position). I´ve used the 5v BEC you may see in previous pictures. No idea how to get 5 volts instead of 3.27
pixhawk cube ap 4-4-1 17 oct 2023 relay camera trigger.zip (5.6 KB)

Your parameters look good to me.
The output of the relay pin will only ever be up to 3.3 volts.
You’ll need a 3.3volt relay, or a circuit to boost that to 5volts.

Like this based on a mosfet:

Or this based on an optocoupler:

Or there’s numerous level-shifter pre-built boards around

https://www.sparkfun.com/products/12009

Thanks a lot.
I will buy one and try

Hello:
No way. I´ve tried 2 different level-shifter and I´ve checked it got more than 5 volts but it dit not triggered the camera. Is there any other parameter to change in pixhawk cube orange?
Thank you: Federico

Can you draw out a circuit diagram of you camera trigger and wiring? Or link to a product online?

HELLO:
I´ve tried these two options (both on relay- output 5 on pixhawk cube orange):

1. Módulo MT3608 DC-DC 2/24V - 5/9/12/28V - 2A Booster | eBay

I DO get more than 5Volts but no trigger on camera
  1. with https://www.sparkfun.com/products/12009 . The problem, pixhawk cube orange outputs 5 volts between black and red and only 3.27 volts between black and white but only when relay is on. I used a 5 volts external bec as showed in pictured but no result

After those trials I tried with my apm 2.6 and it worked properly, so it is NO problem of camera or chdk. It must be something else in pixhawk cube orange output
Something related with pwm?
thanks a lot: Federico

@Federico Can you try one of the MAIN OUT pins? Voltage level on those pins can be changed to output 5V by setting BRD_PWM_VOLT_SEL to 1. You shouldn’t require any additional circuitry after that. Do ensure that you you set SERVOx_FUNCTION and change RELAY_PIN to one of the main outs. The main outs are mapped to 10x GPIO index.

Hello and thank you everybody for your help.
It´s a pitty I had no success with any solution you all proposed.
In this last one I only got 5 volt between black and red in main out 5, but not between black and white. GPIO number for main out is 105 (set on RELAY_PIN), I set BRD_PWM_VOLT_SEL to 1, used RC6 channel through main out 5.
I attach param file.
The result was voltage between black and white from 0.17V to 0.33V and no option to work with cammera trigger action on mission planner.
I finally think there is something in pixhawk cube orange that do not allow to configurate it for cammera trigger as it worked with apm.
I say again, THANK YOU EVERYBODY
pixhawk cube ap 4-4-1 26 oct servo 5 camera trigger.zip (5.6 KB)