Here 2 GPS UAVCAN Advantages Over I2C Connection Through GPS1

Sometimes a video helps.
For the LEDs to be working, you are clearly getting CAN to work.

Ensure you are on latest mission planner

Connect to the cube via mission planner and connect as usual.

Once connected, go to SLCAN

Connect. Via 1

Video this process…

@philip I was able to figure it out my friend! Thank you for all your help and sorry for the late response!

Awesome news!

@philip @MadRC I am attempting to update the CAN firmware on the GPS (@MadRC using your video tutorial on it, really appreciate it, makes the process alot easier, love the channel by the way). I’ve loaded the bootloader and am getting the solid green lights however when I reboot the FC and reconnect and go back to the UAVCAN page when I select the “SLCan Mode CAN1” button it grays out and disconnects the FC however I do not get the CAN status info and update and parameter buttons that were there previously and cannot load the actual firmware. Any ideas? Up-to-date Mission Planner and 4.0 for Plane Thanks for the help.

I had this once.

Try reflashing the bootloader again.

I can’t remember exactly what I did to get passed it but it was just keep messing.

I’ll have a play in the morning and see if I can remember what I did. I was not using current beta T the time and may have reflashed an older master build.

Can you post a video of what’s happening just so we can see.

Thanks for the feedback :).

Hey Ian here is a video of the issue, fresh booted Mission Planner and FC. Not sure how to reflash the bootloader since it stays in the grayed out state and the update and parameter buttons don’t populate. That would be awesome, thanks again for the help.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/aurawlfznxhzi4p/MP_CAN_Issue.MOV?dl=0

Just one thing are you on the Beta Mission Planner ? You can get this from the same screen as updates.

I don’t believe so, I am on 1.3.68 so think it is the most up-to-date stable build. Would reflashing the FC possibly work?

Try the beta mission planner first then and then if no better try Ardu 4.0 of you can as there are loads of changes in these around can.

I will try that and let ya know if it works, thanks for the help Ian really appreciate it!

1 Like

Hey Ian tried various combinations of MP and Ardu 4.0 and no luck, any chance you recalled how you got into the hung state previously? Might swap back to I2C and then try the process again, any thoughts on if that would work?

I think that I have the same problem as you @TeseractLabs
Just cannot get CAN working at all like it should.

See:

1 Like

@MadRC any luck on recalling this issue?

I have not sorry. Iv refreshed mine and not had an issue.

Honestly all I did was bugger around with it until it played ball, there were some real quirks with some of the early firmware but it’s overall much more stable now.

All I can suggest is trying an older version of the daily builds and if that’s still not behaving then you may need to return it.

Sorry.

1 Like

Hi everyone,

So after spending 3 night and 4 days i have figured it out how to update the GPS using slcan

You need to follow the processes mentioned by @philip also i have tried all the versions of mission planner and even Firmware but as like others i was not getting anything on UAVCAN screen as others do. Not updated just 1 but 6 GPS using this method so having 100% success rate.
But once i used beta 4.0 firmware it works and also having mission planner latest version 1.3.68
Will recommend you to do the GPS update outside (in clearsky) as it gets update fast no idea why is it so.
Also you will find firmware for GPS having hardware 2.0 and 2.1 there is no update for GPS having hardware 1.0, No idea why is it so kindly check before updating in UAVCAN window.
Hope this works.

cheers,

2 Likes

Yess. You need to add an external safety switch to port GPS 1 but don’t worry the pixhawk cube ships with a bunch of accessories like cables, switches,etc so simply connect the safety switch with gps 1 port and you are ready to go :wink:. Have a safe flighy

Hey Akshay,

How did you find the hardware version of your GPS module?

Look at the case…
here
Here2
Here3
It’s on the top