[solved]Radio Calibration on Herelink

Hi Philip,

Unable to calibrate the Radio Controls in the Herelink, when I press Calibrate it will not proceed past the second step “Move the Throttle stick all the way up and hold it there…” once I hold the throttle stick up and hold it up the calibration does not proceed to next step. The Next tab is grayed out and the calibration freezes at this point. I have tried a number of times, and I also have checked the "Herelink Joystick calibration-from hardware part and done the necessary adjustments.

Hence unable to calibrate Radio Calibration in “Ardupilot”, please help. Please see the following link this gentleman is having the same problem as me.

Thank You
Ganesh.

In that video is has it in PPM and not Sbus on the larger board

Here link is Sbus

Just to confirm your Using Sbus and you are using the far right cable on the pair for the RC output of two as the first pair does not work currently.

And you have configured that input in ardu separately to Sbus?

Hi MadRC,

I have followed your YouTube video, and as per your instruction, I have connected the far right cable from RC out put to RC in on the Pixhawk 2.1. I am using the mini carrier board at present, and the RC in on the mini carrier board is also labeled as PPM. I also have the standard (Big) carrier board which says RC in only. I will change over to the standard carrier board and try it soon.

How do you change the setting in Ardupilot to Sbus? I think I am missing this step.

Thank You for assistance.
Ganesh

Make sure you are using this pin on the mini carrier and run the RC wizard in Mission Planner

if your still having issues I will fire it all up in the morning and post, iv not tested the mini carrier board though

I got it working, the wire in from the sbus needs to be swapped, you have made an error on your YouTube Video. The yellow cable should be at the top and the black cable should be on the bottom.
Now it all working.

Thank You
Ganesh.

Glad you got it sorted , that it entirely dependent on your board and it’s not really an error, yellow is signal black is ground and these are not the same on each board. This can be different on each board you use.

Glad it is sorted

Thank you MadRC, and Philip for your assistance, I am glad I chose to go this route, instead of the DJI products. Very much appreciate your support, now looking forward for the camera gimbal set up, to finish off the project. Aim was to build a better platform then the DJI Inspire, in all aspects.

Thank You
Ganesh

2 Likes

Hi, I notice when Center stick is zero throttles and Spring loaded throttle smoothing are selected, the throttle does not behave responsive to the users’ movements. Attach are the joystick and Radio videos.

Joysticks video.
Radio videos.

Hi @Jai

Jai if you enable the Spring loaded throttle smoothing in the Joystick Tab this will have the same slow response to your throttle input, if you want quicker and sharper throttle response then do not tick the Spring loaded throttle smoothing check box.

Herelink Joystick calibration-from hardware part is to calibrate the joystick for your hand held control.

Throttle Calibration for Herelink is for calibrating the hover throttle, ie. when you let your joystick go your model will maintain the position and altitude on mid position of both joystick.

Hi Ganesh,

greatly appreciated for the response.

could you share your succeed flying mode you set in your Herelink, joystick and throttle settings?

I suppose you did not remove the hardware spring installed.

Hi @Jai

I mostly used the Alt Hold which adjusts the throttle to hover, there for your center position on your throttle becomes hover, and the model just stays at the altitude you set. You can take your hand off the throttle and it will hold altitude.

If you want to increase the height push the throttle stick up and once you have reached the desired height you can leave the throttle stick and the model will hold that altitude and vise versa. In this mode the model will self level the roll and pitch. This is best mode to get you used to the controls, and once you have used to this you can try PosHold.

So there is no need to remove the spring on the throttle stick and I never did. I got used to the spring loaded throttle, since all my other drones do have spring loaded throttle.

One tip once you start flying keep the model at 1m height so if something goes wrong the impact will not damage your model. I have had plenty of this when I started flying, moved the lawn a few times and ran into the trees in my garden a few times, this did not destroy my model because it was close to the ground. The props were not damaged, the carbon fiber props are strong compared to my off the self drones.

If you need anything further I am happy to help, all the best.

hi Ganesh,

appreciated. will try what you suggested.
May write to you again if i still face the problem.

I am beginner pilot and find comfortably flying DJI A3.

Hi Jai,

May I please ask why you have chosen to use Herelink? and what fight controller you are using with Herelink? Why did you not stick with the DJI A3 FC?

Do you have experience flying iNav FC?

Eh, hmm, good questions.

Because DJI stop shipping and support RTK to my country, so we have no choice to switch it to Pixhawk 2.1 cube FC.

Herelink, because it has UI to setup waypoint flying and potentially integrate the RTK into one.

no, we have no idea about iNav FC, could you kindly share it with me? Can this platform allow you send private email to me? Take it offline.

Thanks

Hi Ganesh,

It seems like without spring loaded throttle smoothing, the UA does not hold at the altitude when i select Altitude Hold flight modes.
The video shows that the throttle drops as I release my fingers, as the sound of the motors slowing down.

Hi Jai,

You need to actually fly your model, and the barometer in the cube will adjust the throttle, and the center position will be the hover throttle.

Ganesh.

Your stick calibration is incorrect
Please recalibrate everything

Hi Ganesh,

By the way, how do you do the ESC calibration using Herelink?